If you, as a host, prefer this way of check-in process, first of all you should include a self check-in option in your listing and prepare guests for it before they arrive.
The self check-in option pros:
- Saves time for both sides
- Ensures comfort arriving without communication
- Eliminates contact during pandemic (if needed)
- Rules out the possible losing physical keys
- Is easy to use
- Stays secure enough
The self check-in process allows guests to access a property by means of key lockboxes, smart locks or different key exchange services.
A smart lock is one of the most convenient and secure door locks. You can manage it via smartphones, easily changing a lock code remotely after each guest checks out.
Another way to organize a self-check-in process is a lockbox — a small storage device, designed to store safely and securely.
More budget-friendly way to prepare your property for guests' self check-in is to employ key exchange services. These services allow hosts to schedule and control all remotely as well as keyless variants.
All self check-in ways require some special preps from hosts:
- Being able to spend additional expenditure on devices and services
- Spending extra time for installation locks or contracting with services
- Writing the clear check-in instructions and adding photos (or even a video) of the different steps of the check-in process for guests
- Checking regularly the workability of devises
- Changing codes between stays for security
But as with any option there also exist some difficulties that can be encountered. Before including self check-ins in your listing, consider the cons:
- Using key exchange services your keys are available for any third person
- All self check-in devices can be damaged or broken accidentally
- Wrong code can jam the system
- Not all exchange services are placed nearby your area
Feeling too impersonal with the self check-ins, you can always leave a personalized handwritten letter and welcome gift to help your guests feel right at home from the start. And if all these conditions are not a hard case for you, proceed and enjoy the modern way of receiving guests!